Tuesday, June 16, 2009

New Contest



Here's a video of one of my older classic bits.



It was recorded way back in 1998, but I think it is still as relevant today, as it was a decade ago. Since then, I've been told that another comic has picked up on it, and did something really similar on a cable special.

That's one of the reasons why I chose to submit it to the "Open Mic Challenge" on the new Comedy Central website. I want to show everyone which comic was doing the bit first.

I have been doing the bit since 1991, and I stopped doing it live after it was released on my cd "Europa" in 2006. Fifteen years is long enough to do any bit, so I thought I would put it away for a while.

I did the bit for my second MTV audition sometime around 1993, and I'm pretty sure it's the reason why I didn't get the gig.

You see, back then there was this little thing called Political Correctness that was sweeping the college campuses. Students were told that there are no First Amendment rights for offensive speech, and if you feel offended, the speaker is guilty of a hate crime. New graduates took that notion out into the real world, and enforced it rigorously. Back then, this bit was considered hateful and mysogynist, and inside sources have informed me, that this bit probably lost me that MTV (Viacom) spot.

Political correctness is still around, but politically INcorrect comedy is extremely popular. Comedy clubs are popular today because you can laugh at things you can't say at school or work. Stuff like this bit is common now in clubs, on YouTube, and even on Comedy Central (also Viacom).

So I thought the world should take a second look at the routine. It would be delicious irony if this was the one that finally pushed me onto Comedy Central (which is the prize for this contest). And you, my dear blog reader can help me with that.

Click on the link, watch the video (you can even turn the sound down if you're at work, the website won't notice if the sound is muted, and will score it as a view) then forward it to everyone you can think of. If you have the time to sign up, give the video a thumbs up, and leave a comment, that would be cool as well.

No comments: